Portions of these instructions were written by Skeorx13 of ScionLife.
So your handle just snapped off in your hand now what?
This is a very common Scion tC problem. Fortunately it is easy to get quality parts and instructions. Just get your handle here, and follow the instructions below.
First you will need to get the new and improved Genuine Toyota Handle here
1. First things first, removing the cover of the inside of the hatch. You have to pop off the light gray plastic liner first to get to all the screws/fasteners off of the darker main piece. This is in three sections that are loosely connected together. You should be able to pry it off pretty easily. Once that is off there are 2 screws and 2 fasteners you need to remove.
2. The fasteners are a PAIN to get out. If you have a thin Flathead screwdriver you’ll want to use that to wrench them out. They’re made of plastic and flex a lot so it’s hard to get them out. You’ll need to try to stay calm or you may break them in a fit of rage. I’d also recommend either coating the screwdriver’s shaft in something rubber or cloth or it’ll scratch up the paint (although this is covered for the most part by the light gray plastic). Be Very Careful not to scratch anything. The screws come out easy enough, just be sure not to go overboard with it because there is enough resistance to strip the heads a bit if you aren’t careful.
Next is pulling the dark plastic off. The handles on the plastic help to pry it off a bit. If you need help grab a plastic wedge of some sort and shove it in between the metal frame and the plastic to help pry it apart. Makes a lot of loud popping noises. Just keep an eye out that it doesn’t whack you in the head when you’re pulling it off, and try to brace the metal frame with one hand so you aren’t just pulling the gate closed on yourself.
3. Unscrew the four nuts. If your Socket wrench isn’t long enough you may have to fit a 10mm attachment onto the nuts first and then kind of hover the socket extender in the attachment and wrench it off that way until the screw post is short enough to lock the attachment and extender together properly for the rest of the way. Pay close attention while unscrewing them so that you don’t drop the nut inside the metal frame of the door. Once you got those off, you can pull the garnish off from the outside but it won’t come off all the way. You have to push the little rubber cup holding the hatch handle button wiring out of the metal frame or it’ll dangle down and possibly scratch up the outside of your hatch, so be careful. Make sure you unhook the wiring harness beforehand as well.
4. Now take out your nice new hatch garnish, feed the wiring harness through the large circled hole and squeeze the rubber cup into place there. Then feed the bolts through the holes in the metal, taking care to maneuver the wiring out of the way so the lights fit into the recesses of the garnish. Keep an eye on the rubber seal around the garnish edges so it doesn’t fold over or get pushed out of the way while you’re putting it into place. You’ll probably want to hold the garnish in place with one hand while ducking under the hatch and carefully screwing the nuts back onto the bolts inside (loosely). Get all the nuts on before trying to tighten them down so you can make sure the garnish is seated right. Also make sure you don’t over tighten the nuts.
5. These instructions are incredibly detailed, and make it sound a lot harder than it actually is. For most people with a good mechanical aptitude the job should take less than an hour.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Do you have the Full console on your 2013-2017 Ram? Is the Console Latch Broken?
There is an easy fix, its just a-few screws and it is very affordable to fix with a new OEM part!
Do you have a 2016 Mazda CX-5? Is Your Cup holder loose, cracked or broken?
The original cup holders were not very well made, and get brittle and crack from the heat. This Genuine Mazda replacement solves the problem.